If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter or Facebook then you know I love posting pictures. I am addicted to photography apps on my phone! I love all the fun borders, collages and filters. It makes me happy! Since I love stop motion just as much as I love taking pictures I decided to do a little search for stop motion apps. Believe it or not there actually are a few. Of course we’re talking about phone apps for making stop motion videos so these are purely for fun and not necessarily for making a quality stop motion animation. I’m okay with that. I just want to play around anyway. I’ll get down to the real stop motion making once my big idea comes to me.
The first app I downloaded was called Stop Motion Studio Pro HD.
I made this short animation with some of the magnetic letters I had left over from my days working in early childhood classrooms. I didn’t realize it was going to be so short!
It turned out okay. It has some limitations, but if your just using the app for fun it’s pretty good.
There were a few things that I would like to see improved.
- All pictures have to be taken with the app. Existing photos taken with a camera or phone cannot be used.
- Pictures have to be taken in the order they are used. For example, if I wanted to start the stop motion and end it the same way I would have to retake the pictures at the end instead of just repeating the pictures from the beginning.
- Music only plays from the beginning of a song. You can’t choose a section of a song that you prefer. It makes it a lot harder to find a song that will work.
- Picture quality isn’t great. I can get way better pictures on my phone with almost every other app I have used. If I could at least edit the pictures I would be happier.
- You can’t choose the speed of the picture changes. I would have like to slow down the changes for picture that I wanted to stay on the screen for longer instead of having to take the same picture 5 times. Another solution for this would be using a picture more than once as I mentioned in my comment above.
Besides being fun to play with, there were a couple of things I liked about the app.
- There is a frame count so I can keep track of the number of pictures I took for each frame. This is helpful if you need to take any number of the same picture in a row.
- You can set the camera to take a picture at certain increments of time. This is helpful so you have time to set up the shot. It’s also nice if you can prop your camera up so you only have to worry about setting up the picture.
- The grid is very helpful since I don’t have any kind of tripod for my phone and can’t use pictures from somewhere else (did I mention that this bugs me? ;-)). It helped me keep the pictures a little more steady. It’s not perfect but I think the shakiness gives it a cute stop motion feel.
- The app only costs $0.99! Not bad at all.
I’ll keep the app on my phone so I can play around with it some more. I found a few more stop motion apps that I’m excited to try out soon. I’ll let you know what I think.
Have you tried this app? I would love to hear what you thought about it.